Why being super-human doesn’t work… and the 5 steps to freedom!
Growing up in South Africa taught me to take a very harsh approach to life. The natural order of kill or be killed was simply life on the savannah.
Even further, this philosophy translated into me wanting to always be ahead of the pack, leaving every-one in the dust and never stopping to rest with a prize for too long. It could be brutally taken away again at any second. I wanted to be number one at all costs. And that mentality cost me dearly.
I thought I had to be Savannah-Girl, the super-human with all the answers – a solution for every-one else’s issues. In my flowing bush-cape, I had to wildly give every-one their solution. Whether they wanted to hear it or not!
Call it enthusiasm or call it ignorance of the truth. Which-ever way, it was an ego-approach, leaving me feeling like I was making a living rather than a life.
It took me years to realise Savannah-Girl was a work of fiction. She didn’t exist and no self-respecting publisher would have touched her as a concept… If truth be told, I had broken the golden rule and lived in that character for most of my life, rather than being authentically me.
My transition came when I lost the ‘number one’ position and was no longer contractor-of-choice. No-one wanted my solutions. People saw how tiring the life of attempted-super-humanism was for me. Let’s face it, who wants that for themselves?
I crashed down to earth harder than Superman showered in Kryptonite.
Eventually, it all comes out in the wash though.
The time had come for me to attempt something else. To free myself I had to let go of the ego (my cr*p!). I had to look deep within, to the very core, allowing my own ‘wise teacher’ to rise through the rubble of my life. That wonderful, wise teacher waited for me to be still and listen. Softly echoing these words through me:
“Work from the heart and lead with spirit”.
It’s what I now like to call my soul-ution to the ego-approach!
When I reflected on the mentors and wonderful people I have worked with over the years (and still do), I realised none of them, were or now, are super-human. We are all humans doing super things.
And so are you!
Allow me to share with you five steps to freedom that you can incorporate into your every-day life in minutes.
- Where ever you are, what ever you are doing, stop. Visualise your wise teacher. I know you say you can’t visualise, with all due respects you can. Without looking away from this article, what colour is the front door to your home? Which side is the door handle? Got it, yes. You just visualised! Visualise your wise teacher, we both know you can!
- Take a deep breath, be still and listen. What is your wise teacher telling you? What feelings are coming up? Got the idea for what needs working on now, don’t you!
- With this understanding, let go of the cr*p holding you back. Yes, simply let it go. All you have to do is decide… and poof, it’s gone!
- Look out for other humans doing super things. Go talk to them, be in their company. Work with them. Surrounding yourself with like-minded people reminds you of what you can do.
- Enjoy what you already have. You have so much to be grateful for, your home, food, family, friends, books, phone… give thanks for it all, every day, in some small way.
Follow these five steps every morning for five minutes and keep a note of the amazing things that happen, you will be amazed at the end of the week, month and year.
Looking at the clients I help, the ones who sustain successful lives and businesses, are the ones who take the challenge and drop their super-human labels. They simply let changes infuse into their every-day living. Then, they maintain the practices, with astounding results. You can too.
We know being a super-human doesn’t work. Don’t be killed out on the savannah, choose instead to become one of the many humans doing super things. Make a life, rather than a living for yourself. You deserve it. The freedom here is pure bliss!
Cheryl-lya is a Soul Adventurer, helping women around the globe plan, launch and grow successful and sustainable businesses. She runs workshops alongside one-to-one coaching. To contact her: call UK mobile 07527 303 911, or visit her website soulscompass.net and schedule a free introductory session. Say ‘hello’, book a session or share your joys via email: email@example.com
Image Credit: Peter Nguyen https://pixabay.com/en/users/peternguyen11-47418/